Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Wedding Wednesday - Whitley and Dwayne


You will quickly learn that I’m a touch obsessed with pop culture. In a bad way. Like, I can sing nearly every TV theme song, I keep up with who is dating whom in the MTV, BET and, heck, TV Land sets and just know too much useless information about too many useless things. (SIDENOTE – I know some useful stuff, too. I don’t want to paint myself with too broad of a brush, you know).

In honor of that obsession, I would like to present my first Wedding Wednesday where I highlight pop culture weddings, real and in the world of film and television, that I love to revisit.

Whitley and Dwayne: A Different World: Save the Best for Last, Part 2

Oh, how we all had been rooting for them to get together all along. Even when Dwayne was obsessed with Denise, I thought they’d make a cute couple. I could see through his flip up glasses and her matching suits that she wore to class in college. They completed each other. Her bourgeoisie and his Brooklyn made for a perfect pair.

After Dwayne cheated on her during their engagement, I was crushed. I understood his frustration with the circus that their wedding was becoming (MESSAGE!!!), but I was furious with him. Still, I knew he’d learned his lesson and that they’d find their way back to each other. It didn’t matter if Whitley was distracted by the Senator / Congressman / Mayor Byron (whatever he was). Nothing - not an elected official or Kinu – could keep them apart.

NOTE: Dwayne’s behavior – cheating and busting up her wedding – is unacceptable in real life. That sort of thing would only work on TV. But Whitely’s fabulousness, Diahann Carroll as Whitley’s mom trying to marry her off and away from Dwayne and that cry of “Baby Please!” from Dwayne as they try and carry him out of the ceremony. TV magic!

Still, if that were real life, someone would have been swinging and everyone at the ceremony would not have been clapping – at all.

0 comments: